Well, those are mostly done. I have ties to make and attach to the hat, and then I’ll be able to ship the package off.
Neither turned out quite the way I hoped, but as y’all know, I have pretty low standards. If I were to use this pattern again with this yarn, I would definitely use considerably smaller needles. The upside is that she’ll be able to use this blanket the rest of her life, since it should come close to fitting a full size bed.
I would also make the ruffled edge about 1/2 the width if I used it at all. In addition, I wasn’t real happy with that color, and wished that the darker pink would have been an option, which is not. I admit, I got fatigued not with making the ruffle, but with measuring it, since my gauge was off. That resulted in me making the ruffle shorter than it really needed to be (and I don’t need to tell you what that means, lol, because you already know ) mostly because I had already used 4 1/2 skeins of yarn (at 5 ozs each) and I was ready to be done. Yes, you read that right- that was 4 1/2 skeins on *just* the ruffle!
I didn’t follow the directions on the hat brim, which gave me an entirely different looking hat. Since it’s still cute, I didn’t froggy it (as in, “rip it, rip it”) and start all over. I used needles that were *way* smaller than the pattern called for, because I used boucle/chunky yarn, and was really glad I did. Before I was completely finished, I was questioning if that was the right call or not, since the hat looked like it was going to be really quite small. As it turned out, by the time I was done, it was long enough and should work just fine on a toddler head. I still need straps, though, so that it can be worn on a slightly smaller head and not fly off.
The hat was attempt #3. The first hat was huge, but I’m going to try to shrink it so Mama can have a matching hat. Attempt #2 (pattern #2) I started and ripped out the first round, because my fixed circular needle cable was just too long. I have since remedied that; see my Dilemma post. Once those come, I will probably try that hat again, because it’s a really cute pattern. Anyhow.
Final hat (pattern #3) was the same set as the blanket. What I liked about both patterns was that they both had a crochet edge, although the crochet on the blanket was before the ruffled edge. I haven’t done anything before that combined the two, but found it delightful (as in, “Yes! I still remember how!” ) to mix it up. I have to confess that I still find crocheting to be easier, and it really was like sliding into a comfortable pair of slippers.
I hope to someday in this lifetime to get to a point where I feel as accomplished as I do with crocheting, but I am awfully doubtful, considering how much knitting stuff I still don’t know how to do. I have to remind myself that I spent 15 years getting to the point I’m at with crochet, and I’m still a newbie with knitting. Even though it’s been about 2 years, I haven’t done anywhere near the same amount of projects with knitting as I had done with crocheting by the same point and time. It is amazing how having children (and homeschooling them) makes a huge dent in the time for crafty stuff. I am looking forward to getting back to the sock making!
My apologies in advance for the poor quality of the pictures. My energy is low today, and since I’m gearing up for 44 lbs of pears on Wednesday, I’m trying to ration myself (well, really it’s 88 lbs, since I’ll be canning with a friend and she also has the same 44 lbs- I’m sure it all works out in the end, lol).